The Cleveland Cavaliers have reportedly lost their patience with their 2019 first-round pick Kevin Porter Jr. and are looking to part ways with the 20-year-old forward.
According to The Athletic’s Joe Vardon, the Cavs have made Porter available for trades. If they don’t find a trade partner soon, they are willing to waive the player.
Multiple reports indicate that Cleveland made the decision after Porter had an altercation with a team official late last week. The USC product was reportedly unhappy because the team moved his locker during his time away from the team.
Porter, who has a history of problematic off-the-court behavior, didn’t play at all this season, having dealt with “personal problems.” He also spent the better part of the offseason and the start of 2020-21 away from the team.
Porter was coming off a promising rookie season in which he averaged 10 points, 3.2 rebounds, and 2.2 assists in 50 games.
When asked about Porter on Monday, the Cavs’ head coach J.B. Bickerstaff didn’t want to offer much detail about his situation. He did, however, said that the organization did their “best” to help the player.
“We all want to see Kevin be successful, and I still feel that way, so whatever it is that happens in the future for him, I hope nothing but the best for him,” said Bickerstaff. “It’s part of our responsibility as coaches to give everyone our all and try to make the best of every situation, and I can say that we did that.”