United States and Mexico Withdraw Their Bid to Host the 2027 Women’s World Cup

Spain players celebrate after their victory at FIFA Women's World Cup in August 2023
Spain players celebrate after their victory at FIFA Women's World Cup in August 2023. Photo by James Gourley/Shutterstock (14058838iz)

United States and Mexico won’t host World Cups in back-to-back years after all. In a statement released on Monday, U.S. Soccer and Mexican Football Federation announced they are withdrawing their bid to host the 2027 Women’s World Cup.

United States and Mexico, which will host the 2026 Men’s World Cup alongside Canada, are still interested in hosting the Women’s World Cup. The soccer federations of the two countries said they are shifting the focus on winning the bid for the 2031 tournament.

“Hosting a World Cup tournament is a huge undertaking – and having additional time to prepare allows us to maximize its impact across the globe,” said U.S. Soccer President Cindy Parlow Cone in a statement. “I’m proud of our commitment to provide equitable experiences for the players, fans and all our stakeholders. Shifting our bid will enable us to host a record-breaking Women’s World Cup in 2031 that will help to grow and raise the level of the women’s game both here at home as well as across the globe.”

After the United States and Mexico withdrew their bid, the 2027 Women’s World Cup will now be hosted by either Brazil or by Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands in a joint effort. The winning bid is expected to be revealed in May.

United States previously hosted Women’s World Cups twice, having done so in 1999 and 2003, while also hosting the Men’s World Cup in 1994. Mexico, on the other hand, hosted two Men’s World Cups but never a Women’s World Cup.